Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Wake Me Up" - Avicii

I'm going to re-enact this pose on my
birthday every year for the rest of my life
Fall is here, and with that comes my Birthday. After the age of 25, birthday's stopped being as much fun. I remember being younger, and looking forward to my special day all year long, now, instead of excitement, I feel something akin to depression.  Now my Birthdays serve as a reminder, that despite protestations.. I'm getting older.

I've previously referred to my "quarter-life crisis", which began shortly before my 26th birthday last year.  25  is a perfect benchmark age; a time to reflect, and look back on all that you've accomplished (or not).  It's enlightening to compare what  I thought I'd be at 25 with what I am. 


 In full blown "quarter-life crisis" mode,  I dumped my job, my boyfriend and took off on a European trip courtesy of some RRSP funding (see: irresponsible).  In most areas of my life I'm successful, I have a great career, friends and family. My sore point has always been relationships.  I'm not sure if it's me (likely), or them (more likely), or perhaps the fact that I'm not willing to settle?  One bit of wisdom I have procured with my age, is that nothing worth having ever comes easy.  I'm now accepting of the fact that I'm going to have to slay a few more dragons (and I don't even mind the slaying..) before I find my prince.
Hey Avicii, take heed of your lyrics son
When you're young, you wish you were older, and when you're older, you'd give anything to be young again.  It's one of life's perfect catch 22's.  We must remind ourselves to take a step back, not worry too much about the future or past, and enjoy the moment.  

Now most of you know, that I'm not the biggest fan of pop hits, but I'm inclined to make an exception for  "Wake Me Up" by AviciiAvicii is a Swedish DJ/Remixer, whose hit single, "Wake Me Up", became the UK's fastest selling single of 2013.  Vocals feature American Soul Singer/Rapper, Aloe Blacc, ("I Need A Dollar".)  The song bears the reminder to live life while you can, and enjoy your youth. Spend time finding yourself, making mistakes and having fun. But then again,  I probably disregard my own advice most days, because "advice like youth, is only wasted on the young." ;) 




Feeling my way through the darkness
Guided by a beating heart
I can't tell where the journey will end
But I know where it starts

They tell me I'm too young to understand

They say I'm caught up in a dream
Well life will pass me by if I don't open up my eyes
Well that's fine by me

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm olderAll this time 
I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

I tried carrying the weight of the world
But I only have two hands
I hope I get the chance to travel the world
And I don't have any plans

I wish that I could stay forever this young

Not afraid to close my eyes
Life's a game made for everyone
And love is a prize

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost

I didn't know I was lost
I didn't know I was lost
I didn't know I was lost
I didn't know I was lost

No comments:

Post a Comment