Thursday, June 17, 2010

"Blood Bank" - Bon Iver

I thought Bon Iver was an 80's Rock band
A few of my friends know that I have a blog now - so I am always getting suggestions on songs to blog about. Most of the time I'm like "yeah.. cool.. will do",  with no intention of writing about it. Partly because I'm a jerk - partly because I only care to blog about songs that mean something to me personally. The other day I was bragging about my blog to one of my girlfriends and she suggested I download songs by a band called Bon Iver. I had never heard of the band - but it sounded like an 80's rock band so I thought I'd give it a listen.



 Now normally I don't take music suggestions from girls.. well not any that I know. No offense girlies, but I'm not likely to blog about the new Black Eyed Pea's song. Anyways - this chick is the exception, she has solid taste in music so I thought worst case scenario I'd just delete them off my IPod at a later date. So thank you for this song dear (you know who you are), because music is always the nicest gift to receive.

A blood bank inspired this song
I downloaded a few songs by Bon Iver - who actually turned out to be a newer indie band, not an 80's cock rock group. I have to say they are like nothing I have heard before. I can't compare them to anyone. At first I didn't know how I felt about them, but I am neurotic about my new music downloads and play them on repeat about twenty times before I make a decision on whether or not I’m into it. The lyrics for Blood Bank are as interesting as the melody. At some points in the song he pauses and I almost think the song is over,. It's got a nice staccato beat that grew on me.

In my Wikipedia creeping of the band I found out a few interesting things. The lead singer, Justin Vernon, moved to his dad's cabin up in the woods of Wisconsin after having a string of bad luck. He broke up with his band, his girlfriend and contracted mononucleosis. While he was sick he began to watch a TV series called Northern Exposure. In one of the episodes a group of the characters from the show, who live in Alaska, greet each other after the first snowfall of winter and wish each other a "bon hiver" (Good Winter). It's also been speculated that the song Blood Bank is based off on episode of Northern Exposure where the characters visit a blood bank.

My favorite line of the song is"I'm in love with your honor, I'm in love with your cheeks". I always like when writers find non traditional things to love about somebody. In my opinion someone being "In love with your honor" is more romantic than somebody being in love with your smile or your eyes. How original.  I'm always a sucker for a good love song - and this one is definetly that, it manages to be both sweet and sad at the same time.







Well I met you at the blood bank
We were looking at the bags
Wondering if any of the colors
Matched any of the names we knew on the tags


You said see look it that's yours
Stacked on top with your brothers
See how they resemble one anothers?
Even in their plastic little covers


And I said I know it well


That secret that you know
That you don't know how to tell
it fucks with your honor
And it teases your head
But you know that its good girl
Cause its running you with red.


Then the snow started falling
We were stuck out in your car
You were rubbing both my hands
Chewing on a candy bar


you said ain't this just like the present
To be showing up like this
There's a moon waning crescent
we started to kiss
And I said I know it well


That secret that we know
That we don't know how to tell
I'm in love with your honor
I'm in love with your cheeks
what's that noise up the stairs baby
Is that Christmas morning


And I know it well (8x)

No comments:

Post a Comment