Monday, October 25, 2010

"M&M's" - Blink 182

While most teenage girls my age were swooning over the Backstreet Boys and N'SYNC I was devoted to an entirely different type of band. Blink 182 is a foul mouthed, pop-punk band formed in the early nineties. I was absolutely smitten with one of the band's members, Tom Delonge. While other girls my age were starry eyed over Justin Timberlake, I was contemplating a lip ring as an ode to my crush. What this band lacks in talent they make up for in hilarity. Even the story of the band's formation is hilarious.
I almost did this
After being expelled from his high school for showing up drunk to a basketball game, Tom Delonge switched schools and was introduced to Mark Hoppus. They became fast friends and Delonge broke both of his ankles after trying to climb a streetlight to impress Hoppus. Delonge was on crutches and at that point they decided to form a band. Hoppus had a girlfriend at the time who thought they practiced too much and tried to make him choose between her and the band. He initially chose her, but as soon as the band found a decent recording device he ditched her, and for lack of a better term - the rest is history.


They recorded several albums under the name "Blink", but after legal issues with a band of the same name they added the "182". I should mention that although I'm a huge fan of the band, it is primarily because of their earlier recordings. They gained success with "Enema of the State", but that album also marked the band's departure into a more mainstream, pop genre. I prefer their older albums such as "Buddha", and "Cheshire Cat" when their songs had much more of a punk vibe going on.


The brilliance of Blink 182 is not in their lyrics and certainly not in their image. They are immature and juvenile but undeniably hysterical. Their stage shows are ridiculously inappropriate and entertaining. I admire them partly because they always seem to be having a good time.
Blink 182

"M&M's" was first released off of Cheshire Cat as a single and although it achieved popularity it failed to chart. The lyrics are simple but the riffs are catchy. Favorite line of the song "When I'm with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do." Reminds me of my younger days when I made a bad decision or two out of spontaneity. Blink 182 is back together and in the recording studio, having reunited after their last break up. They have a new album coming out this fall I believe. Do yourself a favor and dig up some of their older albums - if you are a fan of punk, or inappropriateness you will enjoy.



You and I should get away for awhile

I just want to be alone with your smile
Buy some candy and cigarettes and we'll get in my car
We'll blast the stereo and we'll drive to Madagascar


Because when I'm with you there's nothing I wouldn't do
I just want to be your only one
I'm grasping out at straws thinking back to what I saw
That night on the floor when we were all alone

My love life was getting so bland
There are only so many ways I can make love with my hand
Sometimes it makes me want to laugh
Sometimes I want to take my toaster in the bath

Because when I'm with you there's nothing I wouldn't do
I just want to be your only one
I'm grasping out at straws thinking back to what I saw
That night on the floor when we were all alone
Who's gonna be the odd man out?
I don't want to be the odd man out
Is this going to be the end
Or are you going to be my new girlfriend?

No comments:

Post a Comment