Wednesday, April 21, 2010

"My City of Ruins" - Bruce Springsteen

Jon Stewart at the Kennedy Center
There are no words exceptional enough to describe the legend that is Bruce Springsteen. The best depiction I have ever heard of Springsteen was by Jon Stewart - who honored Bruce at the Kennedy Center Honors Gala Dinner in 2009.
"But that is not the power of Bruce Springsteen.  It is that whenever I see Bruce Springsteen do anything, he empties the tank.  Every time.  And the beautiful thing about this man is that he empties that tank for his family, he empties that tank for his art, he empties that tank for his audience, and he empties it for his country.  And we, on the receiving end of that beautiful gift, are ourselves rejuvenated, if not redeemed.  And I thank you."


Asbury Park, NJ
Bruce Springsteen. "The Boss".  Springsteen is as much a story teller as he is a musician.  The story that "My City of Ruins" tells is one of his most beautiful and haunting in light of all the recent disasters. Springsteen being a pure blooded Jersey boy originally wrote the song in 2000 for a benefit for the revitalization of Asbury Park, NJ.  The song described the current state of disrepair the park was in - but ended on a hopeful note, challenging the city to "rise up".  


His song took on new meaning after the tragedy of 9/11.  Springsteen opened up the "America: A Tribute to Heroes" telethon with this song.  He dedicated the song as "a prayer for our fallen brothers and sisters."

"The Boss"
In "My City of Ruins" Springsteen "empties the tank".  He describes a city in ruins so vividly that in your mind you can see the "boarded up windows".  The song acts as a metaphor for anything that is "in ruins", a relationship, friendship, a life etc.  The message of the song is clear - that there is always hope.  No matter the destruction, the tragedy, the heartache; we as humans have the basic instinct to survive.  We all have the ability to "rise up" out of tragedy. 


If one man with his guitar and harmonica has the ability to bring a nation to tears - then united we will  have the ability to overcome whatever obstacles we are faced with. Whether in reference to Asbury Park, 9/11, New Orleans, Haiti or a tribulation in your own life we all possess the strength to prevail over adversity.



There's a blood red circle
on the cold dark ground
and the rain is falling down
The church doors blown open
I can hear the organ's song
But the congregation's gone

My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Now the sweet veils of mercy
drift through the evening trees
Young men on the corner
like scattered leaves
The boarded up windows
The hustlers and thieves
While my brother's down on his knees

My city of ruins
My city of ruins

Come on rise up!
Come on rise up!

Now there's tears on the pillow
darling where we slept
and you took my heart when you left
without your sweet kiss
my soul is lost, my friend
Now tell me how do I begin again?

My city's in ruins
My city's in ruins

Now with these hands
I pray Lord
with these hands
for the strength Lord
with these hands
for the faith Lord
with these hands
I pray Lord
with these hands
for the strength Lord
with these hands
for the faith Lord
with these hands

Come on rise up!
Come on rise up!
Rise up

No comments:

Post a Comment