Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"You're Gonna Miss This" - Trace Adkins

This is a country song. I know what you're thinking. Don't stop reading just yet. I thought long and hard about posting this song because I knew it could mean losing some of my "street cred" that I'd like to think I earned through my blog - with my all of 4 followers. Typically I'm a "Dylan Girl", or a "Petty Girl", or a "Stones Girl". Never did I think I would be a "Country Girl". I mean I am from the country, it only seems natural that I would eventually gravitate towards this music.

To tell you the truth it does remind me of when I lived in Ontario. Everytime I hear John Denver or Brooks & Dunn I think of a certain someone and a certain time in my life when I was most definitely a "country girl" in theory. I remember driving down the red dirt back roads in a pickup truck wearing a baseball cap, rubber boots and no makeup. A bit different from how I would dress today. There is one thing to be said about the Country - it is simple. It's a very easy way of life compared to city living.


Yup he wears a cowboy hat
Country songs are usually simple - like the country itself. That's why I like them. There are no hidden meanings or complex lyrics. Like the country - country songs are always looking to teach you a life lesson. I was surprised when I found one of these lessons in a song by Trace Adkins. So now I’ll proceed to discuss the song. I'm asking you to try to forget that Trace Adkins wears a cowboy hat and has been known to use the word "honky tonk badonkadonk" in his lyrics - and just appreciate the fact that what he's trying to tell us in this song is worth thinking about.


Now if you didn't know country you wouldn't know that in the world of country music Trace Adkins is kind of a big deal. He's recorded countless number one hits - one of which is "You're Gonna Miss This". Trace himself didn't actually write the song - it was composed by Ashley Gorley and Lee Thomas Miller. Some of the events in the song - like the repairman visiting while the kids are screaming, Gorley took from his real life experiences. The song had huge commercial success reaching #1 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs Charts.


"You're Gonna Miss This", follows events in the life of a young girl growing up. Each of the three verses portrays her at a different age and different time in her life. A young girl headed to school - wishing she was eighteen and can make her own rules, a new bride - wishing for a big house and lots of babies, and a mother -  wishing her children were grown while trying to juggle her babies and everyday life. In each verse of the song there is always someone older and wiser telling her to slow down - and enjoy the present, not worry too much about the future.
I love sleeping till noon


This song reminded me to not get to far ahead of myself. Enjoy every moment - no matter how frustrating they are sometimes, because these moments don't last. Don't take anything for granted.Thinking about when I was a teenager - I couldn't wait to move out, get my license and be on my own. Looking back I should have enjoyed that time in my life more - and the opportunity to be so blissfully irresponsible. Even now - being a single, young adult, I need to remind myself to enjoy this more. There will be a day when my life will be full of children and responsibilities and I will never again get the bed to myself, or get to sleep until noon, or stay out and party all night. So I will try each day to enjoy these moments because I know that there will be a day when I will miss all of this.



She was staring out that window, of that SUV
Complaining, sayin I can't wait to turn 18
She said I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said I was just like you


You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast


These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this
 Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her It's a nice place
She says It'll do for now
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says Baby, just slow down


You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast


These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this


Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
She keeps apologizin'
He says They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.


Huh, it's hard to believe, but ..You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast


These Are Some Good Times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this
You're gonna miss this
Yeah, you're gonna miss this

No comments:

Post a Comment