Tuesday, March 1, 2011

"The Cave" - Mumford & Sons

"Excuse me sir.. which song is this?"
After my Grammy rant, I know I promised you a blog on Mumford & Sons, so here it is my dears. This year has definetly been my year for music. I am typically a Classic Rock gal, but this year I found myself getting into every type of genre - from folk to hip hop. I've had alot of influence from some very music savvy friends - but now that I'm a "blogger" I find myself discovering new music everywhere. I find songs in movies, TV shows, other blogs, and even in stores. In a particularly creepy move, I heard a song that I liked so much while in a store the other day, that I asked to speak with the manager to find out the artist, (for those of you who are curious - it was Mazzy Starry - "Fade Into You").



Mumford & Sons
Now it might be my perspective but I feel like folk & indie music is making a HUGE comeback. Or maybe just becoming more mainstream? I can't even recall the last time a non traditional band like, Mumford & Sons or The Avett Brothers were given a chance to perform at the Grammy's. Or the last time a band like Arcade Fire received proper recognition at such a huge, commercialized, mainstream event. Mumford & Sons released their first album, "Sigh No More", in 2009 and have since received huge critical acclaim from various critics in the UK and North America.


I'm someone that is far more impressed with intelligence than looks. Beauty will always fade before intelligence. Through my research I discovered that Mumford & Sons is much more than just a pretty face. Their lyrics are complex, insightful and draw reference from works  by Shakespeare, John Steinbeck, and The Bible.


The dreamboat himself, Plato
Many fans have cited that "The Cave" seems to reference Greek Philosopher, Plato's, "Allegory of the Cave". Plato's work suggests that underneath the underlying surface of things, there are truths that only the "enlightened" can discover. Coincidentally I think Plato's theory applies to the song itself, as the lyrics of "The Cave" allude to deeper meanings and thoughts not apparent at first glance. Here is a short summary of "Allegory of the Cave"

"Plato describes a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them, and begin to ascribe forms to these shadows. According to Socrates, the shadows are as close as the prisoners get to viewing reality. He then explains how the philosopher is like a prisoner who is freed from the cave and comes to understand that the shadows on the wall do not constitute reality at all, as he can perceive the true form of reality rather than the mere shadows seen by the prisoners. In addition, the Allegory of the Cave is an attempt to explain the philosopher's place in society: to attempt to enlighten the "prisoners."
Sexy Sirens Seducing Odysseus
Mumford & Sons make a very concise reference in this lyric particularly, "So come out of the cave walking on your hands, And see the world hanging upside down, You can understand dependence, When you know the maker's land." He also references the mythological, seductive "Sirens" from Homer's poem "The Odyssey." "So make your siren's call, And sing all you want, I will not hear what you have to say." There are also at least half a dozen biblical/Christian references that I can spot, "Widows & Orphan's", "The Maker's Land", the list goes on.  Overall the band has done a fantastic job of creating an addictive, haunting song that incorporates profound ideas and works. 


It's empty in the valley of your heart

The sun, it rises slowly as you walk
Away from all the fears
And all the faults you've left behind


The harvest left no food for you to eat
You cannibal, you meat-eater, you see
But I have seen the same
I know the shame in your defeat

But I will hold on hope
And I won't let you choke
On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again


Because I have other things to fill my time
You take what is yours and I'll take mine
Now let me at the truth
Which will refresh my broken mind

So tie me to a post and block my ears
I can see widows and orphans through my tears
I know my call despite my faults
And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
And I won't let you choke
On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again

So come out of your cave walking on your hands
And see the world hanging upside down
You can understand dependence
When you know the maker's land

So make your siren's call
And sing all you want
I will not hear what you have to say

Because I need freedom now
And I need to know how
To live my life as it's meant to be

And I will hold on hope
And I won't let you choke
On the noose around your neck


And I'll find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again

6 comments:

  1. There are actually two references to the Sirens scene in The Odyssey in these lyrics: "So tie me to a post and block my ears" alludes to how Odysseus gets past the Sirens. He asks his crew to tie him to the mast of the ship so that he can't jump off toward the Sirens. His crewmembers' ears are all blocked with wax so they can't fall prey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What part of the Odyssey does the line "Come out of your cave walking on your hands.. et cetera " refer too
    ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT lyric is more of a reference to Homer's Allegory of The Cave!

      Delete
    2. You mean PLATO's Allegory of the Cave!!!

      Delete
    3. They're talking about Francis of Assisi's cave.

      "G.K. Chesterton (an author the band is reportedly fond of) wrote that Francis spent some time in a prison, or dark cave, and eventually came out changed;

      The man who went into the cave was not the man who came out again; in that sense he was almost as different as if he were dead, as if he were a ghost or a blessed spirit. And the effects of this on his attitude towards the actual world were really as extravagant as any parallel can make them. He looked at the world as differently from other men as if he had come out of that dark hole walking on his hands.[1]"

      Delete